Thursday 12 March 2015

Birthday Weekend: Villa and Hut Kafe at the Airport

This past weekend (for those here in Melbourne the labour day long weekend) my partner and I decided to celebrate my 23rd birthday (10th of March) by travelling up to the wonderful Gold Coast and spending the long weekend. This was our first holiday in four years, it mirrored our first ever trip together when we drove up to the Gold Coast December 2010, two months after we got together.

This time we decided to take the easier way out and fly up. Now that we are both off of our P-Plates we were able to hire a car so there was no need to take our own.

While we were waiting for boarding, I noticed that one of the little café stands "Villa & Hut Kafe" had gluten free muffins on display. Each flavour was displayed under separate glass domes; there were two flavours, one sweet a raspberry and apple muffin and one savoury ricotta and pistachio.

I chose the Raspberry and Apple muffin. Unfortunately we couldn't take photos in the terminal so I don't have any photos to share at this point in time. However there is a store at the Essendon DFO outlet, which I intend to go back to, if that location has gluten free options I will most definitely try them.
The muffin was soft and moist, there was raspberry jam in the centre. The dehydrated apple was crunchy but not so crunchy that it was a deterrent. Personally this muffin was smoother and more tasty than any of the Gluten free muffins I've had before. It was around 4.90 I think but at the size and quality it was definitely worth it.

We flew via Tiger Airways, which is currently not connected to the main Melbourne Airport terminal, however according to the website they are also located in the International arrivals lounge and the Qantas terminal.
I am not sure whether or not the flavours are always the same or if they change week to week.
I am also currently unaware if any of their other locations provide gluten free options. If you have had any experience with the chain please let me know in the comments.

Over the weekend, I ate at several venues; I will blog about some of them so don't forget to check back.

No comments:

Post a Comment